Wisterias can do the trick in beautifying streets, parks, and home gardens. These flowery vine originated in North America and eastern Asia. It is characterized by its drooping floral clustersand fragrant smell. Its color ranges from pink, purple, blue, and white shades.
The most beautiful wisteria tree can be found in the Ashikaga Flower Park in Tochigi, Japan. This prime tourist destination is popular for its huge umbrella of wisteria blossoms.
The Blue Chinese Wisteria is a special variety from the wisteria family. It has a more distinct bluish hue as compared to typical purple and pink wisterias. Blue Wisterias grow into an abundance of foot-long flower clusters. Blue wisterias bloom best in springtime. This sun-loving climber is also shade-tolerant. Blue wisterias can be trained as a tree on a wall or in the middle of a garden.
WHERE TO PLANT WISTERIA TREES
- Though wisterias are highly adaptable vines, it is preferable to plant them in a fertile soil.
- Plant it in the middle of a wide space. It would be better if it is planted alone amidst a garden.
- Make sure the wisteria tree is planted in a site where it can absorb more sunlight.
HOW TO GERMINATE WISTERIA SEEDS
Germination is the key to successful wisteria planting. Gardeners are encouraged to follow these steps:
- Dry wisteria seeds before beginning the germination process.
- Scratch the dried seeds using a sharp knife without deeply cutting the seeds.
- Submerge the seeds in a bowl of warm water for 24 hours.
- Pour seedling potting mix into small plastic pots.
- Sprinkle each pot with water about two to three times to moisten the soil mix.
- Remove water from the bowl of wisteria seeds.
- Plant each seed in a plastic pot. Pour another potting mix to cover the seeds.
- Spray water on each plastic pot to maintain moisture.
- Cover each pot with a plastic wrap and secure it with a rubberband.
- Make sure to put the plastic pots in an area that receives adequate sunlight.
After a few days, seedlings should start appearing in the pots. By this time, gardeners should transfer the seedlings into bigger plastic pots that arepre-filled with soil. They may use fertilizers to develop Blue Wisteria seedlings. Also, they have to maintain average moisture by regularly sprinkling water on the pots.
HOW TO TRAIN A WISTERIA AS A TREE
An ordinary wisteria vine can be transformed into a lovely flowering tree by positioning it to grow as a tree. Gardeners can follow these steps:
- Install a wooden post, a metal stake, or a piece of bamboo into the area where the wisteria is going to be trained as a tree.
- Choose the sturdiest stem to act as the tree’s trunk. Cut off new shoots from the stem.
- Though Wisteria trees usually grow up to 15-feet tall, gardeners can choose how they would want them to look like. They should cut down the wisteria trunk until their desired height.
- Prune side shoots every winter until the desired appearance is reached.
- Remove new shoots from the trunk as the tree continues to spring up.
PROPER CARE FOR CHINESE WISTERIA TREES
It may take a long time for wisteria trees to completely bloom.Gardeners are often discouraged when this happens. However, they should be assured that it will all worth the wait.
- Make sure the wisteria tree has access to partial or full sunlight. A well-lit and spacious garden will make room for that ideal umbrella-like wisteria tree.
- Properly prune branches to encourage new shoots. Pruning wisterias is best done just after bloom time like in late spring or early summer.
- Keep pests at bay by using fertilizers like super phosphate. Make sure to follow the instructions on the fertilizer packaging.
- Avoid overdoing fertilizers as this will overwhelm the tree. Excessive fertilizers will only result in non-blooming vegetative growth buds.
- Prune wisteria branches regularly to maintain shape and make way for new buds.
It is rather a challenge for gardeners to germinate and grow Wisteria sinensis. But with a lot of patience and hard work, they can definitely achieve a beautiful flowering tree in the end.
A Blue Chinese Wisteria will surely be the core of attraction in home gardens. Also, the colorful hanging flowers produce a delicate scent that will attract pollinators. Whether it is a vine or a tree-form, wisterias are definitely a visual joy to the spectators.